Happy family

Find a legal form in minutes

Browse US Legal Forms’ largest database of 85k state and industry-specific legal forms.

Representative Payee

Sometimes involuntary commitment or even a guardianship or conservatorship is not the best solution. If an elderly person is no longer able to remember to write out checks but can still remember how to eat regularly and take medication appropriately, a representative payeeship may often be an option. A representative payeeship is an arrangement whereby a person’s Social Security and/or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) checks, or even his or her private pension checks, are issued to another person who is the representative payee. This person can be a family member, friend, social worker, attorney, or accountant. Additionally, many utility companies, if requested, will contact a representative third party prior to the termination of services to an elderly person. Sometimes this is sufficient to assure that an elderly person does not have essential services disconnected.

Inside Representative Payee